LOCATION: In Newport, KY, two blocks from Newport on the Levee
HOURS: Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
The Technical Supervisor is responsible for the oversight and integrity of all testing methodologies. This includes ensuring appropriate initial and on-going validations, exploring new method development, collaborating with the R&D department, sharing knowledge to contribute to the success of teams and the company, effective training of lab employees, and compliance with CAP/CLIA requirements.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor Degree with 5 years of experience or Master Degree with 2 years of experience. Acceptable degrees in Chemistry, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Biology, Physics, or similar analytical science field.
- Preference for candidates with expertise with LC-MS/MS instruments.
- Preference for candidates with experience in method development, precision/accuracy/AMR studies, and CAP/CLIA requirements.
- Previous work with bodily fluids (urine, blood, oral fluid) preferred.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Technical Supervisor – Laboratory
- Oversee the validation, method development, and operation of all LC-QQQ (LC-MS/MS), Q-TOF LC/MS, and enzyme immunoassay (EIA) instrumentation.
- Ensure appropriate test method and instrument selection for the matrices and target analytes of interest.
- Provide adequate method verification to determine the accuracy and precision of the test menu.
- Participation and continued enrollment of the laboratory in a CMS-approved proficiency testing (PT) program for the tests performed.
- Monitor the laboratory’s established quality assessment and quality control programs, as well as acceptable analytical criteria for each test system.
- Determine which corrective actions are taken and documented when significant deviations from the laboratory’s established performance characteristics are identified, both in daily production and as part of the PT program.
- Participate in the interviewing process for candidates in technical or supervisory roles in the laboratory, assessing scientific experience.
- Review competency assessments for laboratory employees performing moderate and high complexity testing.
- Write, review, and update Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as needed.
- Complete required documentation and employee training for all updates to methods and test systems, including new analyte profile, cutoff, analytical measurement range, carryover, etc.
Technical Supervisor – Research & Development
- Act as the bridge between the laboratory and the R&D department.
- Collaborate with R&D to identify and assess new targets for test offerings based upon continuous ongoing review of academic research.
- Determine how new tests could be implemented into production with regard to technology, training, and workflow.
- Continuously monitor new developments throughout the clinical testing industry and academic research to evaluate new technologies and methods that could improve upon current processes.
- Attend relevant conferences for continuing education and networking opportunities.
Technical Supervisor – Client Consultant
- Provide scientific and technical representation of Ethos Laboratories in efforts to support the sales team.
- Be available for escalated client requests for report interpretation.
Technical Supervisor – Safety Officer
- Fulfill all requirements of Safety Officer.
- Hold monthly Safety Committee meetings and delegate safety tasks to members.
- Ensure that all laboratory staff is up-to-date in current safety practices.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- An advanced understanding of drug metabolism, toxicology, ADMET, P450 enzymes, forensic testing, method development, and testing principles specifically related to urine, oral fluid, and plasma metabolism
- Ability to coordinate laboratory functions and represent the laboratory professionally, both internally and externally
- Ability to function seamlessly in a team environment
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- High level of attention to detail, with the ability to consider multiple solutions to a problem
- Ability to teach and train others in technical areas
- Demonstrated interest in sharing knowledge and contributing to the success of teams and the company
- Able and willing to follow established protocols employing acceptable standards of analysis and requires the use of judgment in searching for solutions or new applications within one’s own experience
- Must be able to work with limited supervision
- Must be able to plan and organize his/her work, and have ability to coordinate discussions and projects surrounding method development, validation, instrument studies, and research
- Must be able to achieve superior results when work is reviewed in terms of quality, volume, timeliness, and adherence to established methods, standards, and policies
- Ability to listen, learn, and promote accountability and responsibility related to all instrument, calibration, and quality control processes
- Proficient in operating complex laboratory instrumentation and computers with scientific software applications
- Able to work in a laboratory environment, exposes the incumbent to normal laboratory hazards and chemicals, including biohazardous materials.